About / ᓈᓂᑖᐤ
Warrior Women is a collective, a drumming group, a mother and daughter who are rooted in tradition, and ambassadors of their knowledge. Matricia and Mackenzie Brown are Warrior Women.
Matricia Bauer / Isko-achitaw waciy / ᐃᐢᑯ ᐃᐦᒋᑕ ᐘᒋᕀ
Matricia has had the privilege of sharing her culture over the last 20 years to schools throughout the Yellowhead Region.Matrcia is a singer, songwriter, musician, drummer and an artist.
Matricia teaches drum making and leather binding, makes moccasins, traditional fur mittens, and other traditional workshops that you can register for here.
She has her own jewelry line infusing First Nations culture into modern jewelry designs.
An experienced large tour operator with APT Tour, Rocky Mountaineer, and Jasper Parks, Matricia is equally an experienced guest lecturer touring Edson schools, and presenting at a number of national conferences over the years.
Awards & Recognition
- Artist for the Arts – Award recipient 2012 – Arts on Fire
- University of Calgary – Voice Performance
- Royal Conservatory of Music Voice Teacher
- Overall Jewelry Award Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival 2012
- Mayors Artist Award Jasper 2015
- Senior Voice Recipient 2010 Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival
- Collaborative Winner Jewelry Category-2009 Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival
- Aboriginal Woman’s Day recipient-Edson Friendship Centre 2005
- Owner and Operator of Cree-ative Cree-ations
- Member of “Warrior Women” Drumming Group
- Member of “Lavocabella” www.lavocabella.com
Thank you both for being the highlight of the media dinner in New York. And thanks for your continued collaboration.Tulene Steiestol
Director of Business Development — Tourism Jasper
Mackenzie Brown / Kamamak / ᑲᒫᒪᐠ
Mackenzie Brown is First Nations Cree from Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation, currently residing in Mohkinstsis, Calgary, Treaty 7 Territory and Metis Region 3 . She is a performer, drummer, tourism entrepreneur, philanthropist, and advocate for at-risk youth in Alberta.
Mackenzie and her mother perform as Warrior Women. They drum and teach around Alberta for the Northern Alberta Teachers Conference, the annual Jasper Dark Skies Festival, Youth Dream Catchers Conference, Canada Day, Aboriginal Day festivities, and International Women’s Day. In the summer you can find Mackenzie in Jasper performing at Jasper Park Lodge, Parks Canada, Rocky Mountaineer, and various other events.
- Pump House Gallery 2017
- Making Treaty 7 showcase at Arts Common Calgary
- Making Treaty 7 showcase at Calgary Library 2019-2020
- Alberta Business Competition 2017 in Jasper Park Lodge
- Mural paintings at Holy Redeemer High School, Jasper High School (interactive mural painting), and Vanier Elementary High School
- Arts of Fire Outstanding Youth Artist 2013
- Premiers Citizenship Award 2013
- Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee Citizenship Award 2014
- Deans Medal of Academic Excellence 2018
- Esquao Award 2019
- Iskwew of the Year Award from the Alberta Assembly of First Nations 2019
- Top 30 Under 30 from the Alberta Council for Global Cooperation 2020